Friday, June 25, 2010

Weigh In 40


This is the 40th post in my weigh in series that stated back in September '09. It's also the first post of the "phase" in my quest to, quite literally, make less of me.

As I work towards reaching 210lbs by the end of 2010, I am making a plea for your help. This little community here has an opportunity to make a difference in the lives of some people in need and help move closer to ending the atrocity of human slavery.

Through the generosity of a couple of wonderful people, we have the means to get to $1,000 in funds donated to Love146.org, an organization on the front lines of the fight against human trafficking. In the first 40 weeks, we raised $280. Between now and the end of 2010, these two friends have each pledged $210 towards the goal. The caveat is that we, the community here, need to raise matching funds.

That is, if we raise $210, then we can get $210 in matching funds for a total of $420. If we can raise another $210, then we can get the second round of funds for another $420. That would be a total of $840 being donated to Love146.org.

I know it doesn't seem like a lot compared to the numbers that show up in the fight against slavery today. You might ask, "Can $1000 help in a fight against the enslavement of 27 million people worldwide?" or you could be saying to yourself "Is it possible for a couple of people to make a difference against a criminal industry that generates $32 billion a year?".

The answer to both of those questions is "Yes!" But it is very hard alone. Love146.org can use $1000 and multiply the effect through their networks and existing programs. They can use any resources we can give to work on prevention and aftercare. That is, how to stop people from being bought and sold as well as how to restore their lives through love.

So here's where we are so far. The current total raised so far in 210 in 2010 for Love146.org is $155. So we are on our way. But we still need your help...

If you are interested in contributing to the cause, no amount is too little, then please contact me via a comment on this blog, email me at seekingafter@scbubba.otherinbox.com, or contact me on twitter (@scbubba) or facebook.

On the weigh-in front, I've had a technical difficulty. My wife caught my 18 month old son using the bathroom scale as a trampoline and now the numbers are not quite right. So, until I can resolve the issue (fix or replace the scale) I'll call this week even with last week at:

241.0

So, let's get going on our little part to end slavery now....

Photo credit to annais.

0 comments: