Monday, April 5, 2010

Weigh In #29


I hope everyone had a great Easter. And I mean more than just chocolate bunnies and marshmallow peeps...

Every Easter Sunday, our church releases a whole bunch of Painted Lady butterflies between services. Each Sunday school class gets a few caterpillars in the weeks leading up to Easter. Everyone gets to watch them grow and then enter the cocoons. A few days before Easter, the butterflies emerge and are ready to fly.

It's a wonderful lesson, and reminder, about resurrection and new life. I love that kids of all ages get so excited about it. I love that we have a risen Savior to celebrate this way.

The other tradition of Easter wasn't such a thrill for me yesterday. Baskets full of sweet, tasty temptations were all through the house. I succumbed to the siren call of the Sour Patch Kids that my youngest daughter was sharing with everyone. Dang the sweet and sour awesomeness that comes in several fruity flavors! Curse you, Cadbury....

But I did keep it within the realm of reasonableness. So, with some trepidation, I stepped on the scale this morning and saw:

257.0

Not too shabby.

I'm sure the Couch-to-5K program has been helping as well. Doing the 3 runs per week doesn't seem like a lot but it is definitely kicking my body into ravenous mode on the mornings I go. I'm finding that I typically eat a couple hundred more calories on the days I run. It's usually pretty close to the 250 - 300 calories the run itself burns up, so I don't think it's a big problem.

Week 3 on the program tried to lay the smack down on me. This week's runs double the length of time from last week's. It doesn't seem like much at 3 minutes, but I can't recall the last time I deliberately ran for 3 minutes straight. How sad is that...

But I am encouraged by the progress I'm making. The pace was faster today so I went farther in a shorter time (Week 3 is 28 minutes vs the previous week's 30 minute workouts). I'll make the call after this Friday's run about moving on to Week 4 or repeating Week 3 workouts.

As always, there are many opportunities to help people out so why not find out about some while you are here? I'm trying to raise money for Love146.org and their efforts to help end human trafficking and provide a way back to life for those freed from slavery. There are at least 3 things you can do on this page to help.

  1. Text to Give: type your SMS-enabled mobile phone number in the box in the right sidebar to quickly donate $5 directly to Love146.org.

  2. Donate to Love 146.org: click the DONATE button over on the right side to give money in any amount you chose to Love146.org.

  3. Sponsor my efforts: I, and a few faithful friends, are donating money based on the weight loss I've been attacking these past 6 months. Sponsorship can be anything from a one time gift to an amount per pound. You can see what we have pledged so far over on the right sidebar as well. Just leave a comment, email me, or find me on Twitter (@scbubba) and let me know that you are interested in giving.


Thanks for all the prayers and support.

Photo credit to Winjer.

0 comments: