Thursday, December 6, 2007

Why does it matter?

That's the question that was circling around the house for a few years every time Sunday morning rolled around. Why does it matter if we go to church this week? I've got a Bible and I don't need anyone to talk to God for me. I can talk to him any time I want to. Besides, I've seen the stories about these televangelists and "Big Church" folks that say they are working for God but only really seem to be lining their pockets. Pffttt!!!

So, I guess I'll be Christian but I won't be religious. How's that? I love God but I don't trust his ground crew....

Sounds nice and self righteous. I can do better on my own. Or can I?

I thought I had it figured out but then I realized that I was missing something. It was getting to be too easy to rationalize my faith away and to postpone turning to God. This couldn't be the way it was supposed to be.

But those people at church... they all seem to have it together. They're all shiny and happy and living good Christian lives. I don't have any of that. I can't go in there until I'm a better Christian. But I'm not doing such a good job on my own, am I?

So, I decided that the best thing to do was to just go. I mean, there are about a billion churches. I should be able to find one I could at least try for a while.

Turns out that all those people in the church are just like me: human, broken, seeking. Seeking something...

And that's when I started to see some of what the Church is for. Community, sharing, blessing, helping. It doesn't have anything to do with the building, the songs, which Sunday School class you are in, or whether you attend the programs. It's about belonging to a community of people who, in one way or another, are seeking for that which is bigger than them. And believing, in whole or in part, that it has to do with Jesus.

So, I ask, does regular church attendance matter to you?

0 comments: