Monday, December 17, 2007

I want to sing a song.....

I recently picked up a few Third Day CDs (some on iTunes and some "fer real" discs). I really like their Offerings collections. There are 2 songs that have grabbed ahold of me and won't let go right now: "Show Me Your Glory" and "Sing a Song."

Show Me Your Glory has such a powerful message in it about what I think is important to being a Christian. Specifically in the lyrics:

When I climb down the mountain
and get back to my life,
I won't settle for ordinary things.
I'm gonna follow You forever
and for all of my days
I won't rest 'til I see you again.


God's glory and splendor are so awesome that we should not settle for the same ole ordinary, worldly things as we did before. Our lives should be a continual desire and adventure to get closer to God. I believe that the act of seeking after God in order to become more Christ-like is one of the fundamental aspects of living out my faith.

Shifting gears a little bit, I also like the message in "Sing a Song." The refrain (if the song actually has one?) goes like:

I want to sing
a song of Your faithfulness
a song of Your grace
and of Your loving kindness
to the glory of Your Name.
With everything that's in me, Lord,
listen to me say,
I want to sing a song for You,
I want to sing a song.

This, for me, is such a great message of praising God. No pretense, no "I need to say praise before I ask for blessing", just pure unadulterated praise. I really wish that I could keep my heart and mind in this mode all the time. What a difference it makes in my days (and nights) when I "set my mind on things above" and truly praise the Lord

And, yes, I sing these songs whilst driving down the road in the car. What God didn't give me in vocal talent he more than made up for in enthusiasm and volume...

0 comments: