Saturday, November 7, 2009

Weigh In #8


This was an interesting week to say the least. I ended up going up and down the East Coast for work. I was a bit depressed at the lack of decent food options in our nations airports...

I flew from Charleston to Tampa, through Atlanta, on Monday evening. I ended up grabbing a Yogurt, granola, and fruit parfait from the Au Bon Pain grab-and-go thing near my gate in Atlanta because of a short connection time. I thought I was doing OK but when I finally was able to pull it up on the Daily Plate database, I found it had 620 calories and some not so great ingredients. Ugh.

I worked in Tampa on Tuesday at a client site and went out to a local restaurant. I did OK there with some fish tacos (I passed on the corn chips). But dinner was going to be in either the Tampa or Atlanta airport that night since I was flying to Boston. I grabbed another yogurt parfait, but this time it had the info on the side so I could make a better choice than the previous day. It was 280 calories and no high fructose anything...

The conference in Boston provided a good selection for breakfast and lunch on Wednesday but I dreaded the fact that I would be going from Boston back to Tampa, through Baltimore this time, that evening. I was on AirTran and their gates in the Boston airport don't have any choices so I figured it would have to be dinner in Baltimore. We ended up getting to Baltimore late which meant I was squeezed for time between flights. I hit the Manchu Wok on the way to my departure gate. With some lo mein noodles, some mixed vegetables, and some spicy chicken, I managed to keep dinner under 700 calories (let's not ask about sodium and the like...).

Thursday was back in Tampa working. We went to Chilis for lunch and I stuck with their grilled shrimp salad (minus cheese and tortilla strips) for a decent sub-500 calorie lunch. Dinner was at a great little place right on the beach in Clearwater Beach called Palm Pavillion. I highly recommend the place for food, location, and atmosphere. We sat outside on the deck and could here the ocean (it was bight time or we could probably have seen the waves too). I got a salad with some seared Ahi tuna on it. Delicious, filling, and about 500 calories. I was very tempted to try their frozen specialty drinks but I held my line and passed on them...

I was up at 4:15am on Friday to get out of my hotel, get the rental car back, and get checked in for my flights home. I was going back through Atlanta but it was a very tight connection if everything was on time. So I figured I would grab something in the Tampa airport. Well, not a whole lot was open at 5:00am there. But Starbucks was... I got my Americano (espresso and hot water - it's better than it sounds!) and, yes, another fruit, granola, yogurt parfait. But it was one of the under-300 calories ones...

I finally made it back to Charleston Fri morning, did some work at the office, and got home in the afternoon. It was good to be with the family after the week away.

So, I got up this morning (not too early) and slowly walked over to the scale. I stared at it for a minute and then decided I would go ahead and step up...

293.0

Yup, down 3lbs from last week. I wasn't expecting that with the travel schedule. But then again, with the short times between flights in Atlanta and Baltimore, I did get in some unexpected cardio... :-)

That also adds some more to the total pledges to Love146.org (see the right side bar). There is one more week of ThisMustChange.org to get in on helping the causes. Please let me know (via comments below, email, twitter @scbubba, or phone) that you would like to support Love146.org through me and I'll add your pledge to the total. Or you can go over and donate now!

Photo credit to JohnMason.

0 comments: