Friday, April 6, 2012

On Good Friday


It seems like an oxymoron to say that the day we remember the murder of someone is Good Friday. It is only because we either a) don't understand the importance and can gloss over it or b) full understand the importance and rejoice in the outcome.

In either case, the events of the day that Jesus was crucified are often overlooked. The suffering that He endured, the sacrifice that He made, and the actions and reactions of the people around Him are amazing.

The thing that always draws my attention in reading about it or in discussing it are some of Jesus' last words on the cross:
When Jesus had tasted it, he said, “It is finished!” Then he bowed his head and released his spirit. (John 19:30, NLT)
"It is finished." What is it that was finished? Why does it matter? Did something else begin?

I look at those words and am reminded each time that the work to defeat sin and death has been done. What Jesus finished was the atonement necessary to cover the sins, past and present and future, of all of us.

That's an amazing thing when you think less about the cosmic importance of it and contemplate the personal meaning of it. It is finished. The work is done. There's nothing left of that job. I don't have to try to do the work myself. Jesus did it for me. He did it for everyone.

Not that any of us could ever do that work anyway, but we also don't have to worry and stress about it. And the fear of the outcome is gone as well. And I can get on with living the life that God intended me to have. One in which I can have communion and close relationship with Him. One where I am not separated by the pall of sin, of being unclean before a holy and pure God.

That's not to say that there isn't sin in the world, in my life. It will be here until God draws things to a close. The key here is that it doesn't have to drag me under and separate me from God. I don't have to follow it down the path of death.

That is really Good News.....

On The Quest


My running program took a forced hiatus this week, and maybe next week too. I injured my foot on Sunday trying to pretend that I'm about 20 years younger than I am. So I've had to take some time off.... again.

Anyway, the foot still works well enough to step on the scale so I did that this morning:

237.0

A gain of half a pound. Ugh. Here's hoping I can get back to running sooner rather than later....

Photo credit to glasgow's finest on flickr.

0 comments: