Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Without Wax

"Huh?" Yeah, that's what I said the first time I visited Pete Wilson's blog. You see, the title of Pete's blog is "Without Wax" and I was confuddled by it.

Let me back up a moment, you see Pete is the pastor at Cross Point Church in Nashville, TN. I "met" Pete through Twitter and as a result, I found his aforementioned blog. I read a post that he wrote on the topic of pride and then looked at the comments section. The most interesting thing about that was not the number of people that were commenting on Pete's pride post (say that 10 times fast!) but the fact that Pete was interacting with them. And I don't mean just the perfunctory "Hi there. Thanks for commenting" stuff. I mean real and thoughtful interaction. Pretty cool.

So that brings me back to "Without Wax", right? For the more dense folks around (like ME!), Pete explains it right on top of the page:
The word "sincere" comes from the Latin words sine cera which means "without wax". The phrase comes from a practice where people would hide the cracks in cheap pottery with wax in order to pass the pottery off as being worth more than it actually was. Quality products were often stamped with the words sine cera to show that it had not been doctored, that it was in fact authentic.

Go read Pete's blog and you will see that he strives to be "without wax."

You will also see that he is interested in propagating the blog as community. Like my twitter-friend John says on his blog:
[B]logging is about relationships. You see, I’m more interested in using my blogs to build relationships with other people instead of making sure that my own voice can be heard in the blogospheric galaxy.

And that is why I appreciate folks like Pete and John and am very interested in how social media and web 2.0 and can be, and are being, used in ministry and evangelism for the kingdom of God.

BTW, check out the Blogroll over on the right side for links to Pete, John, and several others that are without wax on the world wide web.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks Bubba. Your kind words mean more to me than you'll ever know!

Bubba said...

Pete, I mean every word.

Thanks for being authentic and helping others find that they can be too.

And thanks for stopping by...